Friday 28 December 2012

Annnnnnd back

Well, for now. Till Tuesday brings a new year and a new hang over.

I hope you all had a good Christmas and got everything you wanted from Father Christmas (not Santa). Would you believe it, he brought me a copy of "Redcoat: The British Soldier in the Age of Horse and Musket, (2001)" by the late Richard Holmes, CBE. It's almost like I ordered it off Amazon myself...

I've been diving into that book recently so my apology's for coming back to the blog "late", but a lot of my free time has been consumed on this wonderful book. It's the sort of work where just reading the introduction has you captivated already, and the rest of the book hasn't disappointed (so far).

If you've never read a book by Richard Holmes then shame on you! If you're here, reading this, then it means you have some interest in the military and likely military history. Thus it is almost incumbent upon you to own a Richard Holmes book. I can highly recommend Redcoat, or if you want something a little more up to date then perhaps look at something like Dusty Warriors, which follows the fortunes of the Princess of Wales Royal Regiment in Iraq, 2004.

As for me, I'm hoping to sneak out one more complete article before the new year comes. As for next year? Who knows, but it looks like it's going to be another busy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment